Tuesday, November 14, 2017

A Very Artsy Weekend Plus

“If I had my life to live over again, I would have made a rule to read some poetry and listen to some music at least once every week.” (I say, every day!--JD)
― Charles Darwin,

     This past weekend was a very fun, busy one for me!  On Saturday, I drove to the The Black Walnut Cafe in Flower Mound to meet Andrea.  We had made plans to go on the Cross Timbers Artists' Tour and decided to meet for breakfast first.

     I put the address into my GPS and was just sailing along great!  Then I came to a complete stop on 121 Airport Freeway....construction!  I could see my next exit just 1/2 a mile away which took me nearly 30 minutes to get to!  Needless to say I was a bit late, but no problems!  Although several of the NSAQA group were going to meet there, Andrea and I decided to take off on our own as we knew we wouldn't be able to see it all.

    As you can see from the pamphlet with map inside, there were 23 stops spread all over the Flower Mound, Lewisville, Highland Village, etc. I wish I had taken more pictures but two of my favorite spots were:
Barbara Oliver Hartman at her sewing machine demo'ing in her studio
Barbara explaining her system of sorting colors
One of many of Barbara's award-winning quilts hanging in her home
Another artist I really admired was Mark Clark who custom makes musical instruments out of oddities. Please be sure to go to his link to see even more of his unusual instruments!
Mark Clark with one of his many unique instruments
More of Mark's instruments and workshop in the background
Another favorite of mine is Dianne Hicks; she does a variety of mixed media but especially watercolors and paper making. And I love her studio!  Very unique! And a couple, Gloria and Richard Gatti, who are weavers with wonderful looms and a lovely yard and green house!

     On Sunday I met my daughters and SIL for lunch at Gloria's in the Montgomery Plaza area. Then Marti, Andrea and I went on to Casa Mañana to see a wonderful performance of Evita!

Me and my babies!


Although I was very familiar with the music and story line, I had never seen the stage play before and was thoroughly entranced!  So much so that I have checked out a biography of Evita Person to get the behind the scenes story.

     On Monday, my NTAQ group met; there were only five of us but we still had a great time and terrific art to share! Our challenge this month was a Modigliani "Gyspy Woman with Baby".  It is alway so much fun to see how each of us interpret the challenges.

Gypsy Woman with Baby

And here are our works of Art on this subject:
Heather
Heather chose to emphasize the oval shapes in the painting, particularly the eyes, a prominent shape in all Modigliani's paintings.
Bethany
Kay
Wendy
Wendy also concentrated on the ovals and linear lines in the painting..the collar, for example.

Andrea
 Andrea also emphasized the oval shape in her quilting. You can enlarge any of these pictures to see the quilting closer.

Jaye
I chose to do a more realistic but abstract interpretation of the challenge.  I have not quilted mine yet but will probably just do straight vertical lines.


And here are all our challenges...laid out on one of Wendy's lovely rugs!

After our challenges, we had a big round of show and tell...except me!  I had nothing else to show.  I am working on a couple of art works at home but they are still on the design wall!  Maybe next time!

      The following are by Wendy...several of these are also hand quilted with perle cotton thread! And the backs of her quilts are almost as interesting as the fronts!! Some of these are baby quilts for others....lucky babies!

Front
Back
Front
Back
Front
Back


   Bethany also does many of her works for other people.
A Christmas quilt for a cubicle!

  Heather had one of her abstracts that she is doing for the TEXtile SAQA Conference in San Antonio next spring.
An abstract of mud cracks at the Rio Grande/Big Bend
Kay does a lot of dyeing of her own fabric as well as incorporating commercial fabric in her work.

Kaffe Fassett fabric
A whole cloth hand-dyed fabric for the back
And then we had lunch and a yummy cake for dessert made by our hostess, Wendy!  Next month, a new challenge and out to eat together to celebrate Christmas!!!
K

No comments:

Post a Comment