Sunday, April 30, 2017

Inspired by Klee and Cezanne

"Don't be an art critic, but paint, there lies salvation.” Paul Cezanne 
Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see. Paul Klee

      Last week my art buddies met at one of our houses...we first did our showing of what we had been doing since the last meeting. Our challenge this month was two paintings for inspiration.  The added challenge was to "marry" the pictures...by color or design or both.
     
"Fire at Full Moon" by Paul Klee
                               

                                    "Le Golfe de Marseille by Paul Cezanne

My first take on our challenge  was to print one of the pictures on fabric; then superimposing the other on by reprinting on the same fabric...a good way to marry them...NOT...Just came out a muddy mess.  So I then printed each separately and placed one on top of the other then sliced them up into equal parts, placed them on my design wall in alternating sections...Klee, Cezanne, Klee, and so on. And placed compatible colored strips between each section.

Stage I

Stage 2
Stage 3
Then I did some more slashing and adding of horizontal and vertical strips; created a stamp the shape of the bright orange figure on the Klee; sewed it all together; did some stamping and hand stitching then faced it and.....done.  I enjoy doing hand stitching in the evenings...if I'm not doing something like that, I doze off!!

My finished challenge
     The neat thing about our challenges is to see how everyone creates something different.  We are beginning to develop our own styles!  Here are a few of the others...I didn't get pictures of all of them, but my last picture here is a shot of all of them spread out.



All of them laid out together...all sizes, all designs!
    We also did some dyeing...trying using different resists...that will be for another blog! Oh, and I don't know if I ever told you, you can click on the pictures to see them enlarged.  Sometimes that helps you to see details better.

4 comments:

  1. I loved the challenge! Now I need to work on the one due next Monday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pick up mail, go to "Y", stop at Albertsons, laundry and SEW...that's today's list!

      Delete
  2. Jaye, I may be prejudiced, but I like yours the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cezanne got short shrift in most of the offerings. Not yours.

    ReplyDelete