Thursday, December 29, 2016

Step Two of our Dyeing Process

The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. Pablo Picasso
     We had to let our plastic-encased thread and fabric sit overnight.  The next morning we woke up pretty early and decided to start the second phase of the dyeing process....rinsing everything out!
Plastic wrapped plate of fabric
Unwrapped, ready to start rinsing with thread on top
And so it begins
A lot of color washes out of the fabric...it will not remain as dark as it first looks.

 This is just the first rinse...next comes a rinse with boiling water, to continue until the water runs clear when squeezed out.
And with the matching thread...more to rinse!
     After all the rinsing is completed, then the fabric and thread is ready to make something Fabulous!! Some people will think this is hardly worth the effort when one can go buy already dyed thread and fabric. But I am reminded of a discussion I had with a friend when I was showing her a very intricate sculpture, made from crushed, compacted pecan shells!  Her comment, in awe, was "that person needs to get a life",  a phrase we all throw out when we feel someone is not using their time to the fullest. My response was..."I kind of think they have gotten a life...they are doing what makes them happy, not my choice of how to create, but I can relate to...this is what I choose to do with my time! To me it is very exciting to see the colors take shape and know that I am the one who created them!
       I forgot to add this last picture of the thread that we dyed...very pleased with the outcome!
Our final colors of thread...so yummy!

1 comment:

  1. You are so right! In my opinion, time spent creating is not time wasted. One person's tedious process is another's joy. Your dyeing yielded some beautiful fabrics and threads!

    ReplyDelete