Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Book Reviews

    “Don’t let mental blocks control you. Set yourself free. Confront your fear and turn the mental blocks into building blocks.” 
― RoopleenWords to inspire the winner in YOU
        I have completed two books which I have not reviewed yet.  One was for my bookclub with my church. We read  "The Age of Desire" by Jennie Fields.  It is about Edith Wharton, author of many well known books, "The Age of Innocence", "The House of Mirth", "Ethan Frome" and more.  Apparently Mrs. Wharton, living in the Victorian Age was somewhat sexually deprived!  If you want to find out whether she overcame this condition, you will have to read the book!!!  I realized I have never read anything by Wharton, and now that I know a whole lot more about her, not sure I want to! She was not always a very nice person....and I don't mean morally.  She was from a wealthy background and, typical of the times, thought nothing of those who spent their lifetimes taking care of her.  It is well written and easy to read...does tell a great deal of the period and other persons of the time...Henry James, for one.  He and Edith were big friends.

Book Cover for "Age of Reason"
      The other book I "read" recently was an audio book...."The Muse" by Jesse Burton.  Jesse Burton is a young English author and actress.  This is her second book....her first being "The Miniaturist" a tale about a young girl soon to be wed to a wealthy merchant in 1686 Amsterdam. (I have read it also and liked it very much..a peculiar book, but holds your interest.) "The Muse" is a modern-day novel about Odelle Bastien, a young girl form Trinidad coming to London-1967 seeking work.  I had a bit of trouble getting into the plot at the beginning, but soon became totally wrapped up in the story. It shifts back and forth from the present (1967) to rural Spain in 1936.  There is intrigue, art, literature, and politics all wrapped up in a very good story.  This is one that I think I would have enjoyed reading rather than listening to...and may still!  Jesse Burton seems to get better with her writing....looking forward to more from her.

Book Cover for "The Muse"




2 comments:

  1. I, too, read "The Miniaturist" and enjoyed it very much. Thanks for the review on the author's new book. I will put it on my list. Lynn Medlen

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "House of Mirth" was one of my favorite books. I will have to read Wharton's biography.

    ReplyDelete