Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Art Quilters Around The World

       For some reason my pictures aren't showing up on the Art Quilters Aroind The World but to view the others in this challenge, click on the website from my sidebar.
       Our challenge for this time is "Folk Lore". A great topic with so many choices!!! I finally decided on the tale of Johnny Appleseed. Johnny Appleseed, a favorite American legend, was a real person named John Chapman. This man was a part of American Expansion West. As the story goes he loved apples and also wanted to make sure no one would ever go hungry.  Born in 1774, (his father fought in the Revolutionary War) he traveled West from his birthplace in Massachusetts to the unsettled Ohio frontier, planting apple seeds every wher he went. If you would like to read more about Johnny Appleseed, here is a link to follow. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Appleseed

     In creating my quilt for Johnny Appleseed, I used a fusible technique combined with quite a bit of hand stitching and embellishments. I had just taken a workshop with Deborah Boschert, a fellow SAQA member,  who showed her technique on fusing. Here is a link to her website if you'd like more info on her.  http://deborahsstudio.com/  I also used some of my own hand dyed fabrics.

                         

                              



                               



2 comments: