Monday, August 18, 2014

Memory Monday # 69

     Graduation!  May, 1958....we are the third class to graduate from the "new" high school, Pittsfield High School....now called Pike County High School or something like that.  At that time, when the school was built, one of the small towns near us in the same county had to close their high school and become a part of the one in Pittsfield.
      Graduation took place in the high school gymnasium...chairs were placed on the floor for the graduates and the audience sat on chairs to the side of the graduates and in the bleachers.  There were exactly 100 hundred in my class; we marched in in pairs to the tune of "Pomp and Circumstance"!
Marching in for graduation

Crossing the stage to receive diploma

Graduation Day/ Dress under gown.
    After graduation, I continued with the tradition my sister had set and hosted the class to a party at my parents' house.  Of course, not everyone came...and many did who were not in our class!  And all my parents' friends who had kids graduating with me helped with the food.  And the guy I was dating at the time had a "garage band"...in the style of Elvis Presley...so they played at the party!  I am sure my parents had to make a lot of good deeds to our neighbors!  But most were very understanding as this was not an every day occasion!
      The last summer before going to college!  I was in love, of course, and although I wanted to go to college, I didn't want to leave the nest!  But it was a magical summer...that feeling of being on the threshold of something big!!

No comments:

Post a Comment