Monday, March 17, 2014

Happy St. Paddy's Day

     I almost didn't get St. Patrick's Day blogged about!  Being Irish for real (at least one fourth) I love the lore of the day and all the songs and traditions surrounding it.  And being brought up Catholic, anything Irish really hit home. Most of our priest were from the Emerald Isle..some with a very strong accent! I remember our choir in high school would sing all kinds of Irish ballads during the week of the 17th of March..."The Wearing of the Green", "Danny Boy" etc.  and I always felt a sense of personal pride!
     Of course, these days everyone is a little Irish on St. Patrick's Day!  Two of my favorite cities celebrate in a big way.  Each have rivers running right through the middle of the city and they both dye their rivers green for the occasion!
River in Chicago, Illinois
River in San Antonio, Texas
     And...one more item I just heard on the news today...the St. Paddy Parades in some of the cities are being boycotted by some pretty big names for their not allowing Gay Pride entries in the parades...that is huge in my book!!!  And about time!  Drink more Guiness, everyone...they are one of the companies who have withdrawn their support of the parade in NYC!

No comments:

Post a Comment