Monday, December 2, 2013

Memory Monday # 46

    After having a pretty hectic month of November...I missed a couple of weeks of memories, but I am a little more settled now and am ready to continue the saga!!! My last memory was about Junior High..seventh grade specifically.  The eighth grade wasn't much different..but then came HIGH SCHOOL!!
     Freshman Year:  I was still somewhat socially immature..not really into boys yet, but did join in on the "fun" of dating somewhat.  My best friend, Barbee, (we met in fourth grade and the friendship continued on) was much more socially mature than I...she started dating earlier and would often drag me into double dating, etc.
     There was a dance in the winter where the girls invited the boys...the guy Barbee was dating didn't have access to a car always so she coerced me into asking a friend of his, so we could double date.  He was nearly as shy as I was so it was a pretty quiet date as I remember.
     I ran around with eight to ten girls...we would take turns having slumber parties...usually around our own birthdays..although one of my friends developed the "half-birthday"...six months after one's legal birthday...thus squeezing another party in!!
A slumber party...we really weren't stoned..just goofy from lack of sleep!
In the above picture, I am lower left...I have no idea what was going on with the log..but I am sure it was hilarious!!  We would all bring bedrolls with pillows and blankets...the hostess would supply all kinds of snacks...if one had a date, she would come at the appointed curfew of the hostess's parents..and oh, the giggling and fun we had!  And of course, there were always a few who were going steady...and those who were breaking up!  Oh, the heart ache and angst of being teenagers!!
     Music was always a big part of slumber parties...and we played it at top volume..until a parent...usually a dad would tell us to quiet down!!  And yes, we were Elvis fans...this WAS the fifties!
A favorite!
...then Elvis had to make movies and ruined his image to me...he really should have stuck to just singing!
      We had so much fun...and alcohol and drugs were never part of our lives..an occasional sneaked cigarette perhaps....all of our parents were big smokers...no one thought anything of it back then.  Just look at old movies and tv shows of that era..everyone smoked!

2 comments:

  1. Slumber parties. Oh what fun! I remember them well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such great memories. Loved reading about your slumber parties. I never wanted to go to any. I wanted to stay at home and have my friends come to my house. For some reason, I was afraid of their dads. HaHa!

    ReplyDelete