Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

       Along with my usual Memory Monday, I want to do a short blog in honor of the men and women who have served with our nation's Armed Services on this Memorial Day...as well as my own family members who have served or are serving!

My great, great great grandfather-Civil War
My Dad (with my mom, sister and me) WWII-Army
My husband-Air Force-1962-66
My great nephew Bill-Army 
My great nephew Josh-Air Force 
My great nephew Chris-Air Force (currently serving)
     My memory is that we used to call this day Decoration Day...and it did start with decorating graves of military personnel who had died.  Then it became Memorial Day and the putting of flowers on all deceased family members graves became tradition.  One of my favorite celebrations of Memorial Day was when we went to Louisiana, Missouri to place flowers on the graves of my dad's side of the family.  The cemetery was on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River, a beautiful location all times of the year..and down the road from there was a park also overlooking the river where we would go for a picnic after visiting the cemetery....and my grandma would tell us stories of family members...Unfortunately, I did not really appreciate the history lessons she was giving us at the time...sure wish I had some way to recall all the family lore!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment