Monday, January 14, 2013

Memory Monday #2

Well, here I am again with another fab tale of my youth...Another memory I have while living with my mom and sister when my dad was overseas is when my sister conked me in the head with an iron fireplace broom!

This would have been pre television days. We all had developed great imaginations...could make fun out of anything.  But one day, while playing outside with several of the neighborhood kids, I ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time.  As I remember, we were playing some fantasy with magic involved...there was this huge lilac bush in the yard and we had been pretending that it was some type of magical tree...my sister was the head magician (or something like that), so she had the power to make this bush/tree open up and let us in.  In order to make the magic work, she had to say the magic words and swing the magic wand/broom, which happened to be an iron fireplace broom.  Now here is where the story gets weird...no one I knew had a fireplace so where did the broom come from?  I was standing right behind her and as she spoke the magic words and swung the magic broom, she made a full turn and wham!!  I got hit right across my forehead!  I remember screaming and running for mommy...who picked me up, got a neighbor and took me to the hospital...had to have stitches and got much attention which I am sure I loved!  I still have the scar albeit faded, today!

Of course, my poor sister who was 2 1/2 years older than I and was a really great big sister, was terrified and went home and hid under the bed, so I am told.  My mom was so relieved that I was OK; she was a very understanding mom...realized it was a total accident...so she was not mad at all. You know how head wounds can really bleed; that was probably what scared my sister...I remember seeing the drops of blood on the sidewalk for days afterwards...thus adding more to my glorious escapade!  After realizing I was not dying, I relished in my fame among my peers!!  I had stitches!!!!

Judy-my big sister!
She is probably about four or five in this picture, would have been around this age when the incident described above occurred.  She doesn't look like a bully, does she!!!


3 comments:

  1. Judy was the least bully person that I ever met. I loved Aunt Judy. Great memory....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Andrea!! She was the furtherest thing from a bully!! Just the complete opposite!!

      Delete
  2. Jay - Your blog is loaded in for my Grow Your Blog party. You will need to prepare a special post for the party - please reference the guidelines. I will be by to meet youand read your post as soon as I can after the party starts! I hope you make a lot of new friends!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete