Thursday, January 19, 2017

Strong Women

Here’s to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them. Unknown  


     On Saturday, millions of women all over the world are marching to proclaim their solidarity with each other (and some men who are marching  in their support).  These Marches are particularly emphasized in the United States. The immobilization of these forces have been brought about through the fear of not just the loss of women's rights, but the deep concerns for the loss of human rights with the inauguration of a new president.
     There has been no explanation or comforting words from the new administration that alleviates these fears  which stem from the rhetoric spouted daily. The people who are being selected for high, responsible postitions also do nothing to  soothe our concerns.  
      I am reminded of the way our nation was so split over Civil Rights and the Vietnam War back in the '60s and '70's. Do we need to relive those horrific times in order to bring justice and common sense to our nation again?
    I have many friends who plan to march in Washington; my state capital-Austin; and even here in Fort Worth.  I cannot be with them in body as I have a long standing date with my SAQA group to attend the last day of the KAWS exhibit. But I will definitely be with them in spirit!!


     We must be vigilante and heed the words of Edmund Burke-Philosopher and Statesman-1729-1797: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." And I will have to add-good women! Now, I can't say I agree with much of Burke's philosophy because he was pretty conservative ...but I do agree with this statement! So, come on all you good people!  Speak up!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Keith and I are headed for Austin. I spent a day making posters. We will be marching for Women's rights, LGBT rights and against the disaster being brought by Trump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are terrific! Safe travels! I am with you in spirit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jay, my daughter teaches in Toronto, Canada, but flew in to Washington tonight to join the march tomorrow. I am very proud of her and all those who will participate.

    ReplyDelete